Monday, August 29, 2011

Regnig dag (rainy day)

Today I was feeling a bit under the weather, so I just took the bus out to Boländerna. The COOP really is just like one of those gigantic American Wal-Marts, minus all the American products of course. Swedes seem to love those carbonation machines, they had an aisle full of the machines and an aisle for the flavourings! Also an aisle just for knäckebröd, and an aisle just for korv (sausage/hotdog/wiener). Hot grillkorv (med bröd/with bread) seem to be sold at every store for 5-12kr and are better than our cheap hotdogs. Anyway some of the more awesome/strange grocery products are in the pictures, like the row upon row of miscellaneous tubes, no clue what they are, but they have flavours like "Chorizo" and various other meats. Other highlights include "americansk" hamburger dressing, in flavours like "bacon", and MAPLE SYRUP! Although none of my flatmates knew what it was when I brought it back (because I had to buy it), and I haven't seen it anywhere else, must be pretty rare. It wasn't even very expensive, about $9!
Other awesome things I bought were apple cider 'soup' with bits of apples in it, Billy's Pan Pizza (from the dragon tattoo books), and Billy's also seems to sell frozen filled pancakes! Num.

I am also convinced Sweden is designed for tall people. I can't reach down far enough into the freezers to get my frozen corn (Matthew). They also sell frozen corn on the cob??

Boländerna is a somewhat industrial/shopping area, so it's hard to get around without a car or bike. Lots of car dealerships, mattress stores, etc. MediaMarkt, though, was so neat. I guess it could be compared to a Future Shop. Huge, with computers, fridges, hairdryers, playstations, etc. But. THREE ENORMOUS AISLES of coffee makers. !!!! I ended up with a waffle iron and a ridiculously expensive alarm clock (but the cheapest they had...) both at 180kr each ($30).

This evening we managed to get everyone together in our corridor for a meeting. The fridges and freezers and cupboards were all full but none of us had much at all in there, so we made several trips to the garbage shed and split the stuff that was still good. It was nice to get to know Frida, Marin, and Rebecca a bit.
Well, tomorrow is my first day of class at SLU! ttfn.

If don't see pictures below, click the link to the Google Web Album. It has a handy full screen option: https://picasaweb.google.com/111478015196222952326/August292011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

3 comments:

  1. No slideshow, and direct link says "page not found" :-(

    Thanks for the text, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slideshow appeared, after I logged in using my Google account!!!

    Nice pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see toothpaste right here: Tex Mex flavour!!!

    ReplyDelete