Tuesday, June 18, 2013

More bits and pieces...

Well, the promised 'picture update' never actually came... sorry. It will get there. There is a mini super-virus going around Uppsala, the cold that never ends. It's not serious at all but it lasts upwards of two weeks... I'm on day 13 and optimistic that I'll be able to enjoy Strömstad.

Some updates from this week:
- picked up some more awesome free furniture because so many people move out around this time. They just leave it in the laundry area. Got a big rug (washed it of course), a tiny coffee table that matches the TV stand (victory!) and another mirror.
- also got a free Tassimo machine (another one!) because the Swedish coffee company Gevalia had a promotion that if you bought 10 Tassimo or Gevalia items, they'd send the first 5000 people a machine. Only about two weeks ago we got one for 100:- ($15) from a friend of Fredrik so hopefully we can sell the new one on Blocket !!
- Monday morning had an interview for my praktik (work placement deal). They definitely want me!
Here's the website: http://www.biotopia.nu/ If you use Google Chrome you can just click the "Translate" button. It seems to be a bit of a cross between a micro version of Science world, Van aquarium, and the LV ecology centre. I start there Sept 3! It's unpaid (except for the 'living allowance' which I will get from the government job agency throughout the 6 months of this program). I say 'living allowance' because it only barely covers my monthly rent, and nobody could possibly live on it. But, they're paying me to learn Swedish so... works !
- Got moved from the SFI (Swedish For Immigrants) 'C' course to the 'D' course. I still have to take the national test to officially pass it, but nooo big deal. Apparently they should have put me in the D course to begin with... oh well. [After I finish the D course I can get my 'SFI Bonus' money.]
- Fredrik left Saturday to the west coast of Sweden with his family, and I'm leaving in... one hour? Train leaves at 17.11 (this is a standard way to format time... of course it means 5:11pm). It will take me just under 7 hours to get there, and since I'm leaving at an odd time of day, it means two trains and three busses. YUCK.
Here's a map:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Str%C3%B6mstad,+Sweden&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=59.833279,17.658447&sspn=0.187361,0.676346&oq=stromst&t=h&hnear=Str%C3%B6mstad,+Sweden&z=13
in case you want to know where in the world I'm going...
On the way back we'll spend a night in the family summer house in Örebro
Map:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=%C3%96rebro,+Sweden&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=58.938346,11.179187&sspn=0.048094,0.169086&oq=orebro&t=h&hnear=%C3%96rebro,+Sweden&z=11
And catch a football game in Stockholm on Sunday. It's some kind of interesting/important game (no idea why yet).

Also, if you didn't get the message, my TWU email account is now out of service. TWU has messed up their email service and I can't log in anymore. So please use my UBC one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment